Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Intouchables (French) - Day 1 ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (3)

 My take on the first 100 Films in 100 Days Challenge is for:

This one was actually picked by accident...I was shaking the container getting ready to pick a film
when The Intouchables jumped out. I figured it must be fate so I went with it :D
 I must confess This one's a rewatch. I must have watched this countless of times...what can I do eh, the movie's a gem, just look at how happy Philippe and Driss are here.



After he becomes a quadriplegic from a paragliding accident, an aristocrat hires a young man from the projects to be his caregiver. - The Intouchables, IMDB.com

* I think I should add this here before anyone goes any further. SPOILER ALERT! This post contains spoilers, like a lot so if you don't want to be spoiled NOW IS THE TIME TO TURN BACK*

Still here?
Well, I warned you.


I actually like the opening sequence of The Intouchables. Well I like the film from start to finish but I don't usually like opening sequences even for films that I claim to like because most times the opening sequences are just rehash of other films their genre. This one though looked like an action film with the car chase and the cops.



Only to find out they were actually just playing a prank on the cops. It's genius! Plus bonus points on Philippe's acting, like seriously he seemed about to die, with all the heaving and the beard and the spit, though I admit it was a tad bit gross...


The whole driving through a tunnel while names flash in and out as Boogie Wonderland plays on (one can never go wrong with Earth Wind and Fire) ensues and then we see this scene a little later.



Let's be honest here. The first time I saw this, I knew Driss was up to no good as he sat together with the other job hopefuls. I mean look at him eyeing those eggs. And looking at him side by side with all the other job applicants it's clear how he looks out of depth like a lion stuck in the middle of an ocean.

This scene made it obvious for me as well how I knew there was something significant about those Faberge eggs. I was right by the way.

This next scene made this film one of the best in my books. There were lots of other golden scenes, I mean come on, the movie's littered with it but this one just makes me smile whenever I remember it.

We meet Driss and see him as this poor tough guy who will cut in line because he doesn't want to wait anymore. Yes, that's pretty rude but in his defense he claims he doesn't want the job, in fact what he wanted was a refusal. His personality shined through here. He knows he doesn't belong and he accepts that, he knows he's a bit rude but he's not apologetic for it because that's just who he is. Driss is true to himself and Omar Sy did a great job portraying that.
That timid smile of Philippe's at the end of Driss' motivation comments was my clue that he liked Driss even though they clearly established during their conversation that they were both from different worlds. I guess even in friendship the age old adage of "opposites attract" rings true huh.




Oh and how could I forget Driss' dry humor. One thing I really liked about this film is that there's this man who is paralyzed from his neck down to his toes but instead of dwelling on this and making it a sappy sad story, the film isn't afraid of making jokes out of it, but in a clever non-derogatory way.


I really applaud the way the Philippe can also take a joke even if the punchline is centered on his disability. It's so easy to just dwell on the tragic moments and be all depressed and stuff but Philippe takes it all in stride. Well we did see the man play a prank on cops using his disability so that must mean that he possesses a happy heart right?

Back to Driss. We learn a little bit more about him as we see him in his home environment and this may sound too stereotypical of me but seeing a glimpse of how his home life is made me think that no wonder he could be rude, if I was in his shoes and I was raised in a house where no one respects your privacy then I probably would behave the same as Driss. I mean seriously, can't a person have a moment to bathe in peace? 

Though I do understand that they're just getting by, hence the whole "benefit" thing (watch the movie, you'll understand what I mean by this, if you don't already) so they have to be even a little bit efficient. 

And after that we see Driss giving an egg he took from Philippe's estate and use it as a peace offering to his mom who promptly dismisses it and tell Driss to leave their house. That was an emotional scene but I confess, it wasn't enough to make me cry.


Okay this next picture doesn't really add anything relevant it just shows Driss going inside Philippe's estate and to get his papers but ended up being in for a surprise, or should I say challenge. The only reason why I added this here is because I find it amusing that Philippe's house number is 143.



 Fun Fictitious Fact: Driss only became Philippe's caregiver because Philippe made a bet that Driss wouldn't last two weeks caring for a handicapped. (Of course this is really just my opinion).

This one is a compilation of Driss' first days as Philippe's caregiver
I like these scenes as Driss looks like a kid on the first day of school. He doesn't really know what he's doing but everyday is a new,often times funny, experience. I like the part where he accidentally poured hot water on Philippe's legs and when Philippe didn't have any reaction, he poured more hot water looking completely amazed. What made the scene stand out though was Philippe telling Yvonne that Driss was just experimenting, and from the way he said it, he didn't sound mad though Yvonne said Driss could burn Philippe even if the latter can't feel the heat.

This scene during Philippe's birthday :P

Since we're already talking about the Happy moments, here are a few of my favorites:


The paragliding scene
Driss' first Maserati ride
Aside from the awesome view in the paragliding scene, it's my first time seeing a quadriplegic who got paralyzed from paragliding want to go and tag along and fly, with another paraglider of course. This whole scene just makes me want to try paragliding as well. I wonder if pilots also feel like they're flying when they're on air...

I think one of the happiest moments in the film was during the first Maserati car ride. Most of the time, I see Philippe as how aristocrats act in my imaginations: proper and pragmatic, like how nuns act. But I think in a way Philippe's spirit was drying as he is confined in restrictions, quite literally. So I think breaking the rules on occasion is his way of retaliation, a way for him to feel better. The Maserati isn't a practical car choice but when Driss started the car, they looked like two boys being handed a Christmas present not two grown men sitting in a car.

Driss may act like a thug most of the time but he's a thug with a good heart. My favorite line from him was the one where he said "I'm not loading you into the back like a horse". Now that may have just been a ploy for him to drive the Maserati but at that moment it really didn't matter to me. What mattered was that Driss didn't show pity but he shown compassion in his own way. That line meant that Driss was not looking at Philippe like a hapless old man but as a person who should be treated as such, with dignity.

Driss' shining moments :D
Honestly I just find the opera moment funny because Driss has such a contagious laugh.

Driss' nosebleed comment was funny as well. It's not that I have something against that particular style of art because those pieces do contain sentimentality and meaning within them but I think there are times when we just overthink things, like what a splash of red paint on white canvass means. But I think what brought the whole scene together was Philippe's perspective of what art is. I really liked what he said and I think most of the things we do, even a vandal you drew on your table/arm chair is just a way to express your existence.


We're now heading to a little heavier drama, but that's okay. What's life without a little drama anyway?

I like how Driss stayed true here when he heard Philippe's labored breathing on the baby monitor. Driss didn't want to get up, because really who wants to get up in the middle of the night just to tend to someone else, but he had to and he did somewhat begrudgingly. But one look at how Philippe was doing and Driss was instantly by Philippe's side. He may not know what to do exactly but just his presence and the things he did was enough to calm Philippe down.


In retrospect I think we are a bit like both Driss and Philippe in this scene. There are moments where we don't really know what to do in our lives but even if we don't know we still just do because that's how we get by. There are also times when we are like Philippe who is suffering through something other people can't see or imagine but just knowing that someone is there is enough for us to keep our bearings.

I don't know how Francois Cluzet, who played the part of Philippe, did it but he went from laughing and joking with Driss in one frame then all sad and teary in the next as he explained how he was before he came to be paralyzed, including his cute tale about his romance with his deceased wife and how she gave him 25 Faberge eggs, one for every year on their anniversary and that Driss should return the egg he took.
Philippe explaining why he threw himself into paragliding, the cause of his subsequent paralysis
Perhaps one of the most quotable quotes of the film came from Philippe when he said, 
" My real handicap isn't being in a chair. It's living without her. "

That I think is the most tragically romantic line of the whole film and it worked because I could feel the genuine emotion coming from Cluzet's portrayal. Francois is honestly spellbinding as Philippe, and Omar Sy is amazing and believable in his role. I may not know a lot of French actors but I think the casting was spot on in this one.

Anyway, whole bunch of things happened like how Driss' name was actually Bakary Basari but he was called Idriss when he came to France because another kid was named Bakary and how all of these happened when Adama, Driss' brother, came to fetch him. Philippe let Driss go even though they have formed a bond so that Driss could go home. This next scene showed how Driss and Adama waited for their mother on her route to home after work and how they reached for her bags sort of like a wordless apology and how she let them in her own wordless acceptance as they walk side by side back home.


Driss' job interview was a reflection of how Philippe rubbed off on him as he became more cultured in his manner yet still retaining that natural charm that he had since we first saw his interview with Philippe and Magalie. 


Meanwhile, Philippe was clearly struggling not only with the loss of Driss as his caregiver but with the loss of his friend Driss. This next scene for me sums up his whole interaction with his post-Driss caregiver who in my opinion is just trying too hard. Philippe had also let his beard grow making him look older and somewhat hapless perhaps a reflection of how he truly feels without Driss. And truthfully I think Philippe just missed the guy's bubbling personality and unconventional view on life which is why I think he constantly measured everything his new caregiver does with what Driss did. And the new guy does come off as a bit of an asshole.

Yvonne had to call Driss who came back and helped his friend regain confidence in life in true Driss fashion. Go for a road trip to what I guess is Dunkirk, while playing a prank on the cops which we saw during the first sequence, and shaving Philippe's beard. Honestly this film's got balls and but all in the name of good fun.



Driss then leaves Philippe with a date that who I believe is Eleanore, Philippe's pen pal who he was supposed to meet earlier but he bailed out the last second in large part due to his insecurities. But not before giving the Faberge egg back saying,
" It took me a while but I found it. "
I like what Driss told Philippe here because I think it's pretty symbolic. Not because the egg is important to Philippe but more so because to me it summarizes Driss' journey throughout the film. When we first formally meet Driss, he had no real purpose. He was just content with receiving help without lifting a finger all because he is marginalized and the government ought to help them. He wants to help and mother and his family as well so he took the egg, probably thinking he could sell it for a sum (which he could). His heart may be in the right place but his method certainly wasn't. By the end of the movie, Driss applied what he learned from Philippe and his whole household and finally found a purpose, he now held his own job, fully capable of supporting himself and his family with his two hands, though it did took a while,


Driss giving the egg back
Philippe and Eleanore
Driss walking away

Oh and did I mention that this film was based on a true story? Here's a look at the real Philippe and Abdel (Driss in the film)




Why Driss and not Abdel? Why did the film use a different nationality instead of sticking with the real life story?
I don't really know. All I know is that whatever their nationality were, it in all honesty didn't matter. What mattered the most was that the film managed to capture my heart and the hearts of other viewers for four years now.

My thoughts on the Title:

Well I think Intouchables is a great way to explain both of the lead's characters which is why I also think it's the perfect title. Intouchable/untouchable in old Caste system is someone who is the lowest of the low, hence must not be touched. In a way this literally describes Driss as he is a marginalized guy fresh from prison (as his mother reveals early on). But the word also describes Philippe quite figuratively because even though he is wealthy, he is insecure about his disability. Philippe is a pitiable man who does not want pity and as such hires Driss who once led a pitiful life but does not dwell on it or dole out pity.

* I tried to make this as chronological as possible but in the end I ended up not being able to do so, oh well I never said I was good at these things. Anyway there are a lot of things I missed/chose not to include here, like how Driss' was played by Yvonne (this has something to do with Magalie) or Driss' wicked dance moves. You just have to watch the whole film :) *

I may have just talked about Driss and Philippe this whole time, and this may not be the usual technical movie review but the whole film is truly worth the watch. It has exceptional acting not just by the leads but also of the supporting actors and actresses, a solid story, and beautiful directing. I rate this as THREE STARS. Excellent!

I want to end this post with this photo of Yvonne simply because of this line that she said,
" HOPE keeps us going."
I think that even when everything is confusing and falling apart, we must hope that it will get better and continue forward. It may be hard but HOPE KEEPS US GOING.


Also I think it's a good reminder for me since this is just the start of my 100 days.


By the way, CTTO for all the media used here. And I don't speak fluent French so all translations seen here are made by someone else. These translations may be inaccurate as well.

1 comment:


  1. Get subtitles of this movie from Subwhale.
    You will like the site and easiness of the site to get subtitles of any movie.
    For The Intouchables movie subtitles check: https://subwhale.com/movies/the-intouchables/

    ReplyDelete